Six Star Testosterone Booster is, as the name implies, Six Star Pro Nutrition’s Testosterone Booster. The formula is extremely simple, with only three ingredients: Rhodiola, Gingko, and Boron…FIND IT HERE
Rhodiola Rosea has a long history of use as an adaptogen, meaning it can decrease the body’s sensitivity to stressful situations, physical or mental. Preliminary studies in animals have shown that Rhodiola Rosea produces anabolic effects similar to low dose testosterone treatment.
One human trial, to determine a possible role in erectile dysfunction, found that subjects who consumed 150-200mg Rhodiola Rosea daily for three months experienced heightened sexual function. Whether this was a direct result of increased testosterone is unknown, but given the preliminary support from the animal studies, it is certainly a possibility.
Six Star Testosterone Booster contains 386mg of Rhodiola Rosea extract per serving.
Gingko, while commonly used as a nootropic, has been under investigation for a variety of applications, including as a potential alternative treatment for erectile dysfunction. It has long been used in alternative medicine for ED because of its alleged ability to enhance blood flow via increasing nitric oxide.
However, a 2011 study found elevated dopamine levels in rats that were given Gingko extract. Dopamine has been identified as a major influence on sexual response, and this offers an alternative mechanism of action by which Gingko may improve erectile function.
However, the evidence is far from conclusive, and a good deal of research would be needed before drawing any conclusions about Gingko as a treatment for erectile dysfunction.
Six Star Testosterone Booster contains 2.7mg of Gingko Biloba extract, an extremely negligible dose.
A 2011 study, published in the “Journal of Trace Minerals in Medicine and Biology”, found that boron supplementation (11.6 mg daily) over a one week period was found to increase Testosterone to a statistically significant degree (28%).
An earlier study (1993), found that daily supplementation with 2.5 mg of boron over a 7 week period failed to increase testosterone levels.
The obvious reason for the discrepancy is that the 2011 study used 4-5 times as much boron as the earlier study, but more research would be needed to confirm that.
Six Star lists the dose of Boron in the formula at 5mg of elemental Boron per serving.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Six Star Testosterone Booster actually doesn’t contain any ingredients which will outright boost Testosterone beyond normal. There are far superior Testosterone Boosters/Optimizers out there…
Still not sure which test-booster is right for you? Check out our Best Testosterone Boosters List!
- Eagon, Patricia K., et al. “Evaluation of the medicinal botanical Rhodiola rosea for estrogenicity.” Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research 2004.1 (2004): 663.
- Khanum, Farhath, Amarinder Singh Bawa, and Brahm Singh. “Rhodiola rosea: a versatile adaptogen.” Comprehensive reviews in food science and food safety 4.3 (2005): 55-62.
- Ferrando, A. A., and N. R. Green. “The effect of boron supplementation on lean body mass, plasma testosterone levels, and strength in male bodybuilders.”International journal of sport nutrition 3.2 (1993): 140.
- Nielsen, Forrest H., et al. “Effect of dietary boron on mineral, estrogen, and testosterone metabolism in postmenopausal women.” The FASEB journal 1.5 (1987): 394-397.
- Park, Jeong Sook, and Kun Han. “The Spermatogenic Effect of Yacon Extract and Its Constituents and Their Inhibition Effect of Testosterone Metabolism.”Biomolecules & therapeutics” 21.2 (2013): 153.