Lipo 6 Unlimited is yet another stimulant-based fat-burner from Nutrex Research. The profile is similar to that of Lipo 6 Black in that it is fueled entirely by stimulants, but Lipo 6 Unlimited is transparently labeled so we know how much of each ingredient we’re getting with this one…[Skip to the Bottom Line]
Tyrosine is a non-essential amino acid that acts as a precursor to the neurotransmitters dopamine, epinephrine, and norepinephrine. However, the notion that Tyrosine can directly increase levels of these neurotransmitters is without merit. In fact, Tyrosine supplementation has failed, in a clinical setting, to bring about the performance enhancement effects generally associated with higher levels of Noradrenaline.
So how is it useful? Well, Tyrosine has been shown, in multiple studies, to preserve aspects of cognitive function during/after exposure to an acute stressor (exercise is a stressor). This is because Tyrosine, while not able to directly increase Noradrenaline levels, can provide substrate for the brain to produce more when levels get too low.
To put it simply: Tyrosine does not have an direct fat-burning implications. It can, however, support optimal cognitive function by encouraging adequate levels of certain neurotransmitters (like Noradrenaline). This may be useful during long-duration exercise as well as well as for those on a calorie restricted diet.
Caffeine is central nervous system (CNS) stimulant. A CNS stimulant is any compound that speeds up mental or physical (or both) processes in the body. It is a popular belief that caffeine increases fat oxidation. However, several studies have shown that this is not the case. No scientific studies have found that caffeine, by itself, increases fat oxidation. Several studies have examined the effects of green tea extract on fat oxidation and found a correlation, but most have concluded this is due to the other compounds (perhaps EGCG) which are present in green tea, not caffeine. Caffeine may also act as a slight appetite suppressant (like most stimulants). Without exercise, the weight loss effects of caffeine supplementation would be negligible. However, since caffeine acts as a powerful stimulant, it has also been shown to increase exercise capacity and endurance. Working out longer and harder is a guaranteed way to lose weight, assuming all other variable remain constant.
Lipo 6 Unlimited contains 250mg of Caffeine Anhydrous.
Paullinia Cupana, also known as Guarana, is a plant native to the Amazon, the fruit of which contains caffeine. Although guarana is touted as being a sort of “slow-release” form of caffeine, a study published in the Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology showed that there was no difference in absorption rates in rats. Human studies have yet to be confirmed, but given these results, there is certainly no reason to assume a slow-release mechanism of action in humans. Ultimately, it appears guarana’s capacity for weight loss is about the same as caffeine itself.
Lipo 6 Unlimited contains 22mg of Caffeine from Guarana, bringing the total Caffeine content to just over 270mg per serving.
Advantra Z is a trademarked form of Bitter Orange Extract, which contains the compound Synephrine. Syneprhine gained popularity in the supplement community after the FDA banned Ephedra, due to its similar chemical properties. While Synephrine has been touted as a replacement for ephedra, it is important to understand that it is much less potent (which is why it is not banned also). However, that’s not to say it is completely useless. Synephrine acts as a CNS stimulant, as well as an appetite suppressant to some degree. While Synephrine itself has been around for almost 100 years, studies regarding its fat burning abilities are scarce and those that have been conducted generally combine synephrine with other stimulants such as caffeine. For that reason, it is difficult to examine the efficacy of the supplement for weight loss alone. At the very least Synephrine may offer increased energy levels and a slight decrease in appetite.
Lipo 6 Unlimited contains 30mg of Synephrine, a pretty effective dose with regards to boosting metabolic rate.
THE BOTTOM LINE:
Lipo 6 Unlimited contains just four ingredients, two of which are essentially the same (Caffeine and Guarana). the fat-burning potential is entirely dependent on Synephrine and Caffeine, the combination of which may have a subtle but noticeable weight loss effect if consumed consistently over time. Lipo 6 Black is probably more effective, but also contains more stimulants.
[expand title=”REFERENCES” tag=”h5″]
- Misra, Laxminarain, and Hildebert Wagner. “Alkaloidal constituents of< i> Mucuna pruriens seeds.” Phytochemistry 65.18 (2004): 2565-2567.
- Hussian, Ghazala, and Bala V. Manyam. “Mucuna pruriens proves more effective than L‐DOPA in Parkinson’s disease animal model.” Phytotherapy Research 11.6 (1997): 419-423.
- Katzenschlager, R., et al. “Mucuna pruriens in Parkinson’s disease: a double blind clinical and pharmacological study.” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry 75.12 (2004): 1672-1677.
- Howell, L.L., Coffin, V.L., Spealman, R.D. Behavorial and physiological effects of xanthines in nonhuman primates (1997) Psychopharmacology, 129 (1), pp. 1–14
- Westerterp‐Plantenga, Margriet S., Manuela PGM Lejeune, and Eva MR Kovacs. “Body weight loss and weight maintenance in relation to habitual caffeine intake and green tea supplementation.” Obesity research 13.7 (2005): 1195-1204.
- Ostojic, Sergej M. “Yohimbine: the effects on body composition and exercise performance in soccer players.” Research in Sports Medicine 14.4 (2006): 289-299.
- Dhir, Ashish, and S. K. Kulkarni. “Effect of addition of yohimbine (alpha-2-receptor antagonist) to the antidepressant activity of fluoxetine or venlafaxine in the mouse forced swim test.” Pharmacology 80.4 (2007): 239-243.
- Costill, D. L., Gl P. Dalsky, and W. J. Fink. “Effects of caffeine ingestion on metabolism and exercise performance.” Medicine and science in sports 10.3 (1977): 155-158.